Rick SheltonCommissioner Ward 4
Elected April 2015
- Member of 2nd & Adams Church of Christ.
- 1957 at less than 1 year old moved to Elk City with his parents, 2 brothers and 1 sister from a farm East of Hammon.
- 1966 at age 10 started working for Elk City Daily News as a paper carrier. Working his way thru different positions to the production manager.
- 1974 Graduated Elk City High School.
- 1977 Married Karen Carter (also lifelong Elk City resident with her family)
- They have 3 children and 4 grandchildren all making Elk City home.
- 1979 while still working for the Elk City Daily News, became a volunteer fireman with Elk City.
- 1980 started a career as a full-time firefighter working thru the ranks of driver positions, lieutenant, captain, assistant chief and served 14 years as Fire Chief.
- June 2014 retired with over 35 years with Elk City Fire Department.
- Also serving and contributing as: Elk City Director of Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management; SWODA Six-County 911 Board Member; Beckham County Board of Adjustments; International Association of Arson Investigators; Beckham County Fire Fighters Association; Chairman for local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC); Ambulance placed in fire department in 2003; Lowering Elk City's insurance rating to a "3" which is excellent; Partnership with Western Technology Centers (Elk City Campus) All Hazards Training Grounds; Partnership with Air Evac base location in Elk City; Firewise Community; Storm Ready Community; Currently Farm & Raise Cattle