A two-story brick building on Broadway designed and built by the Andrew Carnegie Foundation in 1915 houses the Elk City Carnegie Library.
In 1912 a group of Presbyterian women organized the Elk City Library Association in one room over the present Elk City Daily News. Volunteers staffed the room one afternoon a week with approximately 250 donated books. Upon request, the Andrew Carnegie Foundation gave $10,000 for the construction of a building to be built on land furnished by the City.
In 1915, Mrs. Elizabeth Keen became the first librarian in the new building. Her annual salary was $335 with an annual budget of $1,000.
In 1968, the basement became the youth library. The 1975 renovation doubled the size of both levels with the lower level accommodating preschoolers thru high school, as well as a community meeting room.
In 1993, automation of both catalog and circulation made access easier with public Internet access being added in 1997. Access to online reference sources via multiple workstations enable the library to meet many information needs.
The library meets ADA guidelines and provides large print materials, visual aids, etc.
Preschooler thru young adult can find his place on the lower level with adult and high school sources on the second level.
Open 50 hours a week, the library is funded by the City of Elk City and is guided by a local library commission of six community representatives. Yearly state aid is provided by the Oklahoma Dept. of Libraries
At the Elk City Carnegie Library, all staff and resources are committed to