Emergencies: 911 | Non-Emergencies: 580-225-0500
The Elk City Fire Department has records going back as far as 1906, when the volunteer fire department operated out of the building at 114 W. Third Street. Then in 1941 under the leadership of Walter Blackmon, Mayor, and a new city council improving the fire department was made a priority. They added new fire equipment and two full time firemen. Not only did this make handling emergencies easier but it also reduced the City's insurance rating considerably. As the department grew and a larger facility was needed they moved to their current location 303 W. Fifth Street in 1952.
With a strong history of keeping Elk City safe, this crew of 24 full-time (paid) and 18 volunteer firemen is ready to handle all emergencies. They operate the department with three engine trucks, one ladder truck, five brush rigs, and a fully equipped rescue truck.
By adding new equipment and more manpower the Elk City Fire Department has brought the ISO Rating down from a Class 5 to a Class 3. This will assist many commercial properties with lower insurance premiums.
Chief Bill Word
Asst. Chief Billy Sizemore